Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sometimes a lot of ice cream and a bottle of wine makes it all better

You know how life hands you challenges? Well I recieved a big personal challenge for Valentines Day. I have generally tried to avoid celebrating Valentines Day for personal reasons from past bad Valentine experiences. So this year on February 14th, the final cast list for Midsummer was posted and I was cast as "understudy" for the show. Talk about heart break. Fairy girl heart break at that. My fairy part was given to the other girl learning the part. It totally sucks, but what do you do but keep working hard and see where life takes you. It is a difficult part with lots of dancing, which I felt I gave my best efforts towards, but didn't get cast in for the shows. I have fully experienced the cruelty and let down of the professional ballet world and now am faced with the challenge of holding my head up high, putting 'that part' behind me and getting more focused. My personal challenge is dealing with my confidence that seems to escape from me when most needed. When I told Mary, a girl I dance with that I didn't get cast she said like it was all so wrong - "but you have perfect fairy hair". Well this production of Midsummer will be one good head of fairy hair short that is for sure. So that was the low-light of my Valentines day. My sweet girl wrote me a poem about love, made me a bag of candy from her stash she got at her her school party (which I ate in one sitting) and drew me a picture. Mom also sent me a Victoria Secret gift card (thanks Mom!) because I was complaining that Santa didn't bring his usual VS gift card this year to buy yearly under-roos. I ended up enjoying Valentine's Day evening drunk off of red wine, Mendelsson's score of Midsummer Nights Dream blaring through my house, a belly full of Ben and Jerry's and not a fairy hair left to be found on my head, but all over the bathroom floor....

NO NO No, not really, but it sounds good and dramatic huh? Actually my sis and her husband Nick came to town for the weekend which was a great way to get my mind out of depressed ballerina mode. The quart of Ben and Jerry's and bottle of wine was calling to my weaknesses, but I hung out with Kel and Nick instead and we did indeed indulge in eating most of the time, which was comforting. Visiting Boise works out great for Nick and Kel because Nick's brother Jason and his wife and kids live here too, so they have lots of family to visit. We had dinner over at Jason and Shelly's house both nights and Sunday went out to a great brunch at this place called 'Bardanay's'....so good especially the orange french toast. Jenavieve, Kel and I did a little shopping too. I miss them lots and would love to live in the same town so we could hang out more often. I have a great sis and brother in law. Hey Kel - "Call me in the morning if you are going to sleep in" :)

1 comment:

Erin said...

man, oh, man...i just left this long comment and it wouldn't post...anyways, i am so sorry...that just sucks..no words other then that...glad kelly came up to visit, perfect timing! when i read the part about all your hair on the floor, i about fell out of my chair...ha...glad you were joking! so you have a b-day coming up...hoorah!

Jenavieve

Jenavieve
Age 9

Jaimi

Jaimi

First day of 3rd grade at Whiteney Elementary

First day of 3rd grade at Whiteney Elementary

Ballet in the backyard...cheap entertainment

Ballet in the backyard...cheap entertainment