I am such a blogger slacker. Sorry People. The Nutcracker has overtaken my life for the last 6 weeks.
Double click on the picture below to see all of our Nutcracker Pics.
My first time on the really big stage with Ballet Idaho was everything plus more for me, literally. Wow what a glorious feeling it is to dance to sold out audiences' in the Morrison Center which seats over 2,000. And this year was the "New" Nutcracker meaning all brand new costumes, sets and of course choreography. Down to the flower buds on the tutu's it was all very breath-taking.
I was really scared and excited for opening night to show em, (my Director and the Ballet Master) that I can shine on stage in the parts that I was cast in. I have been getting acupuncture weekly for my achilles, which is doing fabulous, and also for my nerves and memory so I wouldn't blank out on stage which is my biggest fear.
So during dress rehearsal my dancer friend Sara, falls and sprains her ankle. And who is her understudy you ask??? I quietly walked over to the corner and started to freak out. I feverishly began to go over the six and a half minute "Waltz of the Flowers" dance that I knew I was suddenly performing. I had never had a run of "Flowers", only learned it on the sidelines. They don't joke when they say things happen last minute and you never know when you will be thrown on stage in a costume that is not yours. Well I definetly had my work cut out for me and had a challenge that I had to step up to. I threw on the big pink tutu and the ballet master gave me one brief walk through of the dance before opening night. And I am told one walk through is generous for most companies to even give you that. "Waltz of the Flowers" blared for the next 24 hours in my ears to solidify the movement and music in my brain and body. I don't know where the stamina for this came from, adreneline I guess. Every show I walked off stage and asked Ryan "Did I fit in? It felt like I did?" I did it and did it well and I don't say that often. I can now breathe a big proud sigh of relief.
What made Nutcracker extra special to Jenavieve, Ryan and I are all the people that came to see us and support us. Janet(my Ballet Spokane director) and Miss America Erica (Ballet Spokane President and Stage Manager) are crazy and came to both the matinee and evening show on Saturday and said they had to see both casts. It was so special and great to see them and we laughed so much. We are so grateful for their support and love. Robert Stevens, one of Ryans, and my, friend from Spokane, came to the show as well. My parents made it as well and loved the show. My dad especially loved the live music (Boise Philharmonic Orchestra). He says every show should be played to live orchestra and I agree.
Jenavieve was amazing as always. I have no doubt that in a few years from now she will be dancing the lead of "Clara". I can just see it. She is already dancing around the living room with her new Nutcracker "reenacting" the ballet. She seriously knows every note of the music and every step almost better than I do.
Double click on the picture below to see all of our Nutcracker Pics.
![]() |
| Nutcracker 2008 pictures |
My first time on the really big stage with Ballet Idaho was everything plus more for me, literally. Wow what a glorious feeling it is to dance to sold out audiences' in the Morrison Center which seats over 2,000. And this year was the "New" Nutcracker meaning all brand new costumes, sets and of course choreography. Down to the flower buds on the tutu's it was all very breath-taking.
I was really scared and excited for opening night to show em, (my Director and the Ballet Master) that I can shine on stage in the parts that I was cast in. I have been getting acupuncture weekly for my achilles, which is doing fabulous, and also for my nerves and memory so I wouldn't blank out on stage which is my biggest fear.
So during dress rehearsal my dancer friend Sara, falls and sprains her ankle. And who is her understudy you ask??? I quietly walked over to the corner and started to freak out. I feverishly began to go over the six and a half minute "Waltz of the Flowers" dance that I knew I was suddenly performing. I had never had a run of "Flowers", only learned it on the sidelines. They don't joke when they say things happen last minute and you never know when you will be thrown on stage in a costume that is not yours. Well I definetly had my work cut out for me and had a challenge that I had to step up to. I threw on the big pink tutu and the ballet master gave me one brief walk through of the dance before opening night. And I am told one walk through is generous for most companies to even give you that. "Waltz of the Flowers" blared for the next 24 hours in my ears to solidify the movement and music in my brain and body. I don't know where the stamina for this came from, adreneline I guess. Every show I walked off stage and asked Ryan "Did I fit in? It felt like I did?" I did it and did it well and I don't say that often. I can now breathe a big proud sigh of relief.
What made Nutcracker extra special to Jenavieve, Ryan and I are all the people that came to see us and support us. Janet(my Ballet Spokane director) and Miss America Erica (Ballet Spokane President and Stage Manager) are crazy and came to both the matinee and evening show on Saturday and said they had to see both casts. It was so special and great to see them and we laughed so much. We are so grateful for their support and love. Robert Stevens, one of Ryans, and my, friend from Spokane, came to the show as well. My parents made it as well and loved the show. My dad especially loved the live music (Boise Philharmonic Orchestra). He says every show should be played to live orchestra and I agree.
Jenavieve was amazing as always. I have no doubt that in a few years from now she will be dancing the lead of "Clara". I can just see it. She is already dancing around the living room with her new Nutcracker "reenacting" the ballet. She seriously knows every note of the music and every step almost better than I do.

4 comments:
man, i wish we lived closer or that i could have came, sounds amazing! i can't believe you had to learn a part in one day! wow...so cool jaimi!
oops, one more thing...love the pics!!! and your new blog design!!
Thanks for your help Erin. I stayed up until 1:30 last night messing around with all the new things you showed me to do. Thanks for your help.
I must say it was spectacular. Jaimi, Jenavieve and Ryan were on their toes all the way. We were very proud. It is definitely a show for all to see. I was shaken for Jaimi in the flower dance but she did a flawless job. You had no idea she was a understudy.
A proud mom.
Post a Comment